Friday, June 24, 2016

Can't We Just Talk It Over?

We here at Steve's Blog Central love our many UK readers and we've had the pleasure to prepare some blogs just for them.

But we have one word regarding the succession from the European Union, or as it's better known, the "Brexit," a combination of "British" and "Exit:"


WHY?!?

I know what you think of the French, the Germans, and the football yobs in a lot of those other countries, but just voting your way out of a body designed to promote European unity?!?

Yes, we ARE living in a global economy, but when you guys were part of the EU, it kept financial markets around the world stable, allowed you to supply services from SKY News to Shakespeare-related educational materials for libraries Europe-wide, and work out your differences in forums other than the theater of war.

Here's how I see the problem: Two words: DONALD. TRUMP.

Not only does the Don contribute to your economy through his golf courses including the one he just opened, but the way UK and US politics have always been intertwined, now more than ever, the anti-established movement he has fomented has spread to your borders, causing the heretofore pent-up hostilities against the policies of the EU to rise to the top. (As my friend Scott Shannon used to say, "Sooner or later, the crazy always comes through.")

I know, what's done is done and can't be undone, but PLEASE remember the economic stability of the EU years and how citizens of Britain felt like citizens of all Europe. (I STILL remember taking the Chunnel from Paris to London. It was surreal, but I was pleasantly surprised when I turned on the radio and I heard voices talking in English when we made dry land. Sure, travel to London from New York may be more affordable, and I'm all for that, but I'm going to miss finding out how my stocks did at home on CNBC Europe and Man Utd football camps at Disneyland Resort Paris, but, more importantly, the security of the knowledge that my visit to Europe was protected not only by Britain's finest service people, but also those of its EU partners. I'm with J.K. Rowling who said on her Twitter feed that if there ever was a time Britain (and the world) needed magic, it's now.

PLEASE consider the consequences of your actions.
Steve

1 comment: